Here is a tax-smart way to have an impact on Wellesley College using your traditional or Roth IRA. The IRA charitable rollover (also called the Qualified Charitable Distribution, or QCD) is a great way to make a tax-free gift to Wellesley College and satisfy your required minimum distribution (RMD). If you are not required to take an RMD but no longer itemize your deductions, then a QCD may be right for you as well.
How do I qualify?
The IRA charitable rollover (QCD) offers multiple benefits for making gifts from your traditional or Roth IRA.
- You must be 70 ½ years or older at the time of the gift.
- Gifts must go directly from your IRA to Wellesley College.
- Gifts must come from a traditional IRA or Roth IRA account.
- Gifts cannot exceed $100,000 per donor per year.
Benefits of an IRA charitable rollover gift
- If you don’t itemize deductions and are not yet required to take your RMD, a QCD offers all of the benefits of an itemized income tax charitable deduction.
- If you are 72 or older and must take your RMD, a QCD can satisfy your RMD without increasing your income taxes.
- You may direct your gift to a program or area of your choice.
- It is a wonderful way to have an immediate impact on Wellesley College.
How can I make an IRA charitable rollover?
Contact your IRA administrator to ask for their QCD distribution form and information on the procedure to make such a gift.